D-Day
Here is how it all went down:
I went in for an ultrasound on Thursday evening so they could estimate the weight of the baby. Since I had gestational diabetes, the baby is usually bigger than normal. The ultrasound tech said that the baby weighed 9 pounds, and that he was "off the charts" according to her. Plus, she said that I would probably have to have a C-Section. So I called my doctor that nite and left a little bit of a panicky message, of course I didn't want a C-Sectin since that's major surgery and it just seemed too scary.
So the next morning, Friday, I called again and the office was closed. The answering service said they'd give him the message on Monday. I said, "No...please give him the message now", and she said, "No, only in emergencies", And I said "This is an emeregency! This baby is too big and plus the doctor wanted me to call him with my results!", and she kept saying NO! Arguing with me! I literaly fought with her back and forth 10 X until I begged & begged her to give him the message that day!! So of course, the doctor calls back in about a half an hour and tells me to get to the hospital ASAP! "Let's get this baby out today!" was his response! I told him how I had to fight with his answering service! And he said they were incompetant anyway! Can you believe it though! Like the answering service lady was gunna tell me when I could talk to my doctor at 9 months pregnant?!?!?! Unbelievable.........
Anyhoo, I get to the hospital at 10:30am, and am already 80% effaced and 2-3 cm dialated. They give me the Pitocin and I get my epidural around 4:00pm. The Anesthesiologist cannot get the cathater in the right place in my spine so she has to readminister the epidural a few hours later. Meanwhile this is not a fun procedure! They go in "blind" looking for a "vacuum" poking around beyond the spinal cord with a very long needle to give the meds. Around 11:00pm, I'd say I was about 7-8 cm dialated and I can start feeling all the contractions, this feels, for those not in the know, exactly like knives being twisted in your back! I beg for MORE DRUGS!! and she said I had the most! I was like, "How can that be?! I didn't feel any contractions w/ Giacomo and was also induced". And she gave me more even though I supposedly had the most, I had to bare with that pain for a good hour or more. Then around midnite I was finally fully dialated and ready to go, but.....my doctor was delivering a baby in the bext room! so I had to wait. I finally got my doctor all to myself and pushed him out 1-2-3! The epidural was actually working again at that point and I didn't feel anything at all pushing him out. I pushed him out in 5 minutes, literally just 3 pushes and he was finally out!
To get me thru the contractions, I kept telling JP what to get me for my first meal after I delivered Dorian. I was starving as I hadn't eaten since breakfast. I changed my mind about 10 X. Since I had gestational diabetes, I have been on the strictest, healthies diet ever, so ofcourse I wanted to indulge and celebrate with a great meal! But my options were limited at 2:00am, which is when JP went searching on Washington St. for aything open that would have what I wanted, which was pancakes dripping in maply syrup, an ice-cream soda and a brownie :-) But there were no pancakes to be found, so I had an Italian sub & a diet coke, not too bad, a little unhealthy and that was good enough for me.
There you have it - the longest blog post in this blog's history.... just incase you were interested :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home